Board of Directors
Thank you for your interest in serving on our Board of Directors. For consideration during the 2017/2018 application period, please review the position requirements below and complete the online application by March 2, 2018. Our nominations committee will review applications in late March and extend invitations to those selected shortly thereafter.
For consideration, please fill out the board application form at the bottom of this page, AND email your resume to email@example.com.
Roles + Responsibilities
- Know and support the organization’s mission, vision, values, goals, policies, programs and services, strengths and needs.
- Serve in leadership positions and undertake special assignments willingly and enthusiastically.
- Participate in organizational and program activities throughout the year.
- Serve a minimum 3 year term.
- Attend, prepare for, and participate in quarterly board meetings, and an annual retreat.
- Participate on at least one committee of the board.
- Maintain confidentiality of the board’s meetings.
- Suggest agenda items for board, committee meetings and workgroups to ensure significant policy related matters are addressed.
- Give a personal annual gift of $1,500 to support general operations through any combination of donation, purchase of fundraiser tickets or raffle.
- The Advancing Justice | Chicago Board has accepted a challenge grant to raise $1,500,000 by December 2020. Individual board members are expected to donate or raise on average an additional $20,000 per year in order to meet the Board’s commitment. Staff will support each Board member to develop and implement a personal fundraising plan.
- Avoid the occurrence of a conflict of interest, or even the appearance thereof; disclose any possible conflicts or appearance of possible conflicts to the board in a timely fashion.
- Maintain independence and objectivity and do what a sense of fairness, ethics, and personal integrity dictate.
- Exercise prudence with the board in all financial matters.
- Faithfully read and understand the organization’s financial statements and help the board fulfill its fiduciary responsibility.
Desirable Board Member Attributes
Directors should bring a breadth of experience and points of view. A wide variety of volunteer experiences including fundraising is preferred. In evaluating and appointing candidates for board membership, Advancing Justice | Chicago considers some or all of the following attributes:
- Awareness and understanding of Advancing Justice | Chicago’s programs and strategic issues; a record of sustained engagement and/or volunteer involvement with Advancing Justice | Chicago.
- Demonstrated volunteer leadership, collaboration, initiative, and follow-through.
- Willingness to participate in the End of Year Campaign, Milestone Gala, and Asian American Action Day in Springfield.
- A strong network and a willingness to encourage giving within those networks.
- Relevant organizational board/committee experience (for profit/non-profit).
- Ability to analyze and ask questions at a strategic level; provide and seek constructive feedback; exhibit strong listening skills.
- Ability to seek and gain consensus; consider different viewpoints and perspectives.
For consideration, please fill out the board application form below, and email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.