Job posting: Communications Specialist
BACKGROUND AND MISSION
For over 25 years, Asian Americans Advancing Justice | Chicago has worked to bring together the Asian American community and empower them to create change in their communities. In 2017 we finalized a five-year strategic plan and are now guided by a new mission statement:
Asian Americans Advancing Justice | Chicago builds power through collective advocacy and organizing to achieve racial equity.
Advancing Justice | Chicago is deeply committed to its grassroots community organizing. In order to strengthen our work and transform the inequities in our city, state, and Midwest region, we work with multiracial coalitions that emphasize racial equity, a fierce accountability to those most impacted, and an infrastructure of grassroots leadership. Asian Americans have a unique experience and voice that can make an even more significant contribution to the progressive movement.
Together, we equip the community with the knowledge and resources to regularly engage with power-brokers and decision-makers at all levels of society for the advancement of social justice, equal rights, political representation, and human dignity. Simultaneously, we align, convene and collaborate with like-minded organizations to advocate for laws and policies that promote social, economic, political, and racial equity including initiatives in the areas of voting rights, language access, hate crimes and discrimination.
As part of the national Asian Americans Advancing Justice affiliation, Advancing Justice | Chicago is a leader in the nationwide Asian American movement. Regionally, Advancing Justice | Chicago is prioritizing the Midwest, and collaborating with partners across the Midwestern states to tackle common struggles and build power.
Whether locally, regionally, or nationally, Advancing Justice | Chicago is building a powerful Asian American voice for racial equity.
At this critical time in our nation’s history, when the rights of immigrants and other communities have been questioned by our government and white nationalism seeks to destroy communities of color, Advancing Justice | Chicago continues to be a leader in protecting the rights of Asian American and immigrant communities in our city, state and region. This is also a critical time for our organization, and we are now positioned, both financially and strategically, to open a powerful, new chapter in Advancing Justice | Chicago’s history.
The Communications Specialist position presents a unique opportunity for a strategic and proactive individual to advance this organization’s mission, expand the organizations brand awareness, amplify our work, and attract new supporters.
- Create, manage, and execute a strategic communications plan that supports organizational goals and demonstrates a commitment to innovation and creativity to expand the name recognition and grow supporter base of Advancing Justice | Chicago.
- Establish communications protocol and support and oversee staff’s application of said protocol and operations.
- Create and maintain a comprehensive communications calendar.
- Produce monthly metrics reports and analysis for Senior Management.
- Write and disseminate news releases, respond to media requests, cultivate and maintain relationships with ethnic and mainstream media, maintain media contact database.
- Assist in setting up press conferences, media briefings, and other media events.
- Create and edit timely materials for website, blog, newsletter, and social platforms.
- Manage communications internship program, including recruitment.
- Improves internal communications, through development and management of internal communications protocols and calendars.
- Proactively supports and enforces brand and communications standards and instructs and trains staff as appropriate.
- Confer with Senior Management on communications and program strategies to inform a dynamic and relevant communication plan.
- Participate in conference calls with affiliate staff and/or consultants regarding the national brand.
- Proactive with a commitment to innovation and creativity
- Proven ability to write accessibly for a wide variety of audiences and outlets
- Exceptional interpersonal skills
- Highly organized
- Proven excellence in social media communication
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in marketing, communications, English, journalism, or related field
- At least 2 years of experience in marketing, communications, or public relations
- In depth understanding of local and national Asian American community and history
- Salesforce, Mailchimp, Hootsuite, and WordPress experience helpful
This is a full time, exempt position. The salary range is $35,000 – $45,000 based on experiences. Position includes a full benefits package.
INQUIRY AND APPLICATION PROCESS
Applications should be submitted via email to Shannon Downey at email@example.com and include:
- Letter of interest
- 2 writing samples of your choosing; and
- Social media handles
Please include “Communications Specialist” in the subject line of your email. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Asian Americans Advancing Justice | Chicago is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified persons are encouraged to apply, regardless of race, color, creed, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, age, height, weight, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, marital or domestic partner status, or religious affiliation.