Job posting: Community Organizer
BACKGROUND AND MISSION
For over 25 years, Asian Americans Advancing Justice | Chicago has worked to bring together the Asian American community and empower them to create change in their communities. In 2017 we finalized a five-year strategic plan and are now guided by a new mission statement:
Asian Americans Advancing Justice | Chicago builds power through collective advocacy and organizing to achieve racial equity.
Advancing Justice | Chicago is deeply committed to its grassroots community organizing. In order to strengthen our work and transform the inequities in our city, state, and Midwest region, we work with multiracial coalitions that emphasize racial equity, a fierce accountability to those most impacted, and an infrastructure of grassroots leadership. Asian Americans have a unique experience and voice that can make an even more significant contribution to the progressive movement.
Together, we equip the community with the knowledge and resources to regularly engage with power-brokers and decision-makers at all levels of society for the advancement of social justice, equal rights, political representation, and human dignity. Simultaneously, we align, convene and collaborate with like-minded organizations to advocate for laws and policies that promote social, economic, political, and racial equity including initiatives in the areas of voting rights, language access, hate crimes and discrimination.
As part of the national Asian Americans Advancing Justice affiliation, Advancing Justice | Chicago is a leader in the nationwide Asian American movement. Regionally, Advancing Justice | Chicago is prioritizing the Midwest, and collaborating with partners across the Midwestern states to tackle common struggles and build power.
Whether locally, regionally, or nationally, Advancing Justice | Chicago is building a powerful Asian American voice for racial equity.
At this critical time in our nation’s history, when the rights of immigrants and other communities have been questioned by our government and white nationalism seeks to destroy communities of color, Advancing Justice | Chicago continues to be a leader in protecting the rights of Asian American and immigrant communities in our city, state and region. This is also a critical time for our organization, and we are now positioned, both financially and strategically, to open a powerful, new chapter in Advancing Justice | Chicago’s history.
The Community Organizer position presents an opportunity for a strategic and proactive individual to build a base in the Asian American community, develop grassroots leadership, support strategic issue campaigns, and move community members to take action. This position will fall under the staff sharing agreement between Advancing Justice | Chicago and Asian American Midwest Progressives (AAMP), which means some percentage of the Community Organizer’s time may be spent on 501(c)(4) activities including partisan electoral work. In addition to the responsibilities outlined below, this position may also provide capacity-building support and technical assistance to Asian American-serving organizations in other Midwestern states.
- Develop grassroots leaders through A Just Chi, Advancing Justice | Chicago’s program for community members who want to build power and community and fight for racial equity;
- Engage grassroots leaders in electoral campaigns, including ballot initiatives, through direct voter contact efforts;
- Represent Advancing Justice | Chicago in coalition spaces and contribute to coalition-led issue-based campaigns;
- Mobilize community members to take action on key issues, including immigrant rights, language access, and police accountability;
- Assist development staff in program-related fundraising;
- Collaborate with other staff on organization-wide initiatives;
- (Potential) Assist Asian American-serving organizations in other Midwestern states to develop a civic engagement strategy connected to issue advocacy. Provide capacity-building support and technical assistance.
- Ability to work independently, think creatively, and prioritize multiple tasks;
- Ability to learn new skills and willingness to be coached and trained;
- Openness and ability to adapt and respond to changes in the environment;
- Strong commitment to social justice, racial equity, and civil rights;
- Flexible working hours, including some evenings and weekends (compensatory time is offered for evening and weekend work);
- Some out of town travel, e.g. for national conferences (potential for frequent travel to other Midwestern states)
- Experience with any of the following an asset:
- Working in Asian American or immigrant communities;
- Community organizing, grassroots leadership development, or leading an issue-based campaign;
- Electoral organizing (e.g. volunteering or working on political campaign);
- Leading trainings on community organizing;
- The issue areas of immigrant rights or language access;
- Working for elected officials or in government in another capacity;
- Bilingual skills in English and an Asian language;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
Exempt, full-time position. The salary range is $35,000 – $45,000 based on experience. Advancing Justice | Chicago offers a generous full benefits package.
INQUIRY AND APPLICATION PROCESS
Applications should be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org and include:
- Letter of interest/cover letter
- 2 references
Please include “Community Organizer” in the subject line of your email. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Asian Americans Advancing Justice | Chicago is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified persons are encouraged to apply, regardless of race, color, creed, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, age, height, weight, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, marital or domestic partner status, or religious affiliation.