Communications Coordinator Job Description
BACKGROUND AND MISSION
For nearly 30 years, Asian Americans Advancing Justice | Chicago has worked to bring together the Asian American community and create change in our communities. We are deeply committed to grassroots community organizing and we invest in the leadership of grassroots community members through trainings, community education, civic engagement, and collaborative issue-based campaigns. In order to strengthen our work and transform the inequities in our city, state, and Midwest region, we work with multiracial coalitions that emphasize racial equity, accountability to those most impacted, and an infrastructure of grassroots leadership. Our advocacy work focuses on promoting racial, economic, and immigrant justice, including initiatives in the areas of voting rights, language access, and immigrant rights.
As part of the national Asian Americans Advancing Justice affiliation, Advancing Justice | Chicago is a leader in the nationwide Asian American movement. Regionally, Advancing Justice | Chicago is prioritizing the Midwest, and collaborating with partners across the Midwestern states to tackle common struggles and build power.
Asian Americans Advancing Justice | Chicago is seeking a motivated Communications Coordinator to work in the Development department and report to the Director of Development.
The Communications Coordinator will work collaboratively across all departments within the organization to research, develop, and write content for print, digital, and social media platforms. This position will help set the organizational tone and voice through editorial and media content, including emails, social media posts, newsletter stories, press, marketing collateral, and other communication vehicles. This position also identifies and develops compelling stories that inspire and motivate others to engage, as well as prospects and maintains media relationships with Advancing Justice | Chicago.
The position requires a self-starter who is creative, takes initiative, and can shepherd a project from conception to execution. Excellent grammar and writing skills are required for this position.
Advocacy and Partner Outreach:
- Serves as a thought partner with the Director of Development on outreach and strategy to external Advancing Justice | Chicago partners related to organizing programs and campaign initiatives.
- Attends organizing department meetings to flag and promote Advancing Justice | Chicago’s issue areas. Develops ways to integrate that information into partner organizations’ priorities and builds relationships with pertinent contacts.
- Identifies existing event opportunities for Advancing Justice | Chicago staff to participate in and helps to create and execute events.
- Works with Asian Americans Advancing Justice affiliation on national communications.
- Writes and disseminates news releases, responds to media requests, cultivates and maintain relationships with ethnic and mainstream media, maintains media contact database.
- Flags rapid response content for issue-specific media and ethnic media contacts (including but not limited to immigration, education, police accountability, language access, just democracy, voting rights, social justice, and racial equity).
- Assists in setting up press conferences, media briefings, and other media events.
- Assisting organizing team with digital communications.
- Identifies new press contacts around issue areas, which may include outreach to press contacts.
- Works with the organizing team and executive director on media strategy to uplift and advance issue campaigns and events.
- Provides media training as needed.
- Manages all organizational social media accounts.
- Manages and updates the Advancing Justice | Chicago website.
- Produce monthly metric reports.
- Create and edit timely materials for website, newsletter, and social platforms.
- Manages, updates, cleans, and segments the Advancing Justice | Chicago email list
- Assist the development team with digital fundraising strategy.
- Assists in writing advocacy-focused sign-on letters, emails, and sample social media content.
- Creates compelling content that mobilizes Advancing Justice | Chicago’s supporters and partners to participate in Advancing Justice | Chicago’s campaigns, and assists with the creation of campaign assets with Advancing Justice | Chicago’s staff members, including consulting on graphics and videos concepts.
- Assists in creating content and materials for both media and external affairs audiences.
- Progressively responsible experience in marketing and communications; proven ability to develop a successful strategic communications and messaging program targeting a wide variety of audiences
- A deep appreciation for and ability to articulate to diverse audiences, the mission, achievements, and contributions of Advancing Justice | Chicago
- Proven ability to execute a communications strategy across all platforms–traditional, digital, and social–whether paid, earned, or owned
- Exemplary writing and interpersonal communications skills; a refined and nuanced ability to craft content, create connections, and disseminate messages in ways that reflect, engage, and enhance various complex community and cultural perspectives
- Excellent creative and design sensibilities, with a strong understanding of the communications process from creative concept through production and execution
- Successful targeting and influencing key audiences using data and analytics to ensure effectiveness, measure success, and adjust as appropriate
- Excellent collaborator, engaging in cross-department planning and strategy sessions, with exposure to all staff and levels of the organization
- A personal and professional commitment to diversity in all its forms and across all audiences, internal and external
- Exemplary interpersonal and leadership skills; ability to collaborate effectively with culturally diverse staff
- Resourceful, goal-oriented individual with a strong work ethic, personal integrity and perspective
- Passion for social justice, racial equity, immigrant rights, and grassroots leadership development
- This is an exempt, full-time position. The salary commensurate with experience. Advancing Justice | Chicago offers a full benefits package, including fully covered healthcare, vision, and dental insurance, generous paid time off, life insurance, and short-term disability insurance.
INQUIRY AND APPLICATION PROCESS:
- Applications should be submitted via email to Sangini Brahmbhatt (she/her) firstname.lastname@example.org and include:
- Letter of interest/cover letter
- Two writing samples
- Two references
- The priority deadline is May 25, 2021. Please include “Communications Coordinator” in the subject line of your email.
Asian Americans Advancing Justice | Chicago is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified persons are encouraged to apply, regardless of race, color, creed, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, age, height, weight, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, marital or domestic partner status, or religious affiliation.