Communications Manager Job Description
BACKGROUND AND MISSION
Asian Americans Advancing Justice | Chicago builds power through collective advocacy and organizing to achieve racial equity.
For 30 years, Asian Americans Advancing Justice | Chicago has worked to bring together the Asian American community and create change in our communities. We are deeply committed to grassroots community organizing and we invest in the leadership of grassroots community members through trainings, community education, civic engagement, and collaborative issue-based campaigns. In order to strengthen our work and transform the inequities in our city, state, and Midwest region, we work with multiracial coalitions that emphasize racial equity, accountability to those most impacted, and an infrastructure of grassroots leadership. Our advocacy work focuses on promoting racial, economic, and immigrant justice, including initiatives in the areas of voting rights, language access, and immigrant rights.
As part of the national Asian Americans Advancing Justice affiliation, Advancing Justice | Chicago is a leader in the nationwide Asian American movement. Regionally, Advancing Justice | Chicago is prioritizing the Midwest, and collaborating with partners across Midwestern states to tackle common struggles and build power.
Asian American Midwest Progressives builds political power through collective advocacy and electoral organizing to achieve racial equity.
Founded in December 2018, Asian American Midwest Progressives (AAMP) endorses progressive candidates, mobilizes Asian American voters, and holds elected officials accountable through issue-based campaigns. Currently, AAMP organizes in Illinois and Ohio.
Asian Americans Advancing Justice | Chicago and Asian American Midwest Progressives are seeking a motivated Communications Manager to develop and implement a comprehensive communications strategy that includes elevating our advocacy work in five priority issue areas and supporting fundraising strategies.
The Communications Manager will work collaboratively across all departments within the organization to develop, write/edit, and pitch content for print, radio, digital, and social media platforms. This position will help set the organizational tone and voice through editorial content and media engagement, including emails, social media posts, newsletter stories, press, marketing collateral, and other communication vehicles. The position requires a self-starter who is creative, takes initiative, and can shepherd a project from conception to execution.
This position will fall under the staff sharing agreement between Advancing Justice | Chicago and Asian American Midwest Progressives (AAMP) so a portion of time will be spent on 501(c)(4) activities, which may include partisan electoral work.
Reports to: Director of Development
Leadership, Strategy & Implementation
- Work with Senior Staff to craft organizational communications strategy with defined outcomes, activities, and responsibilities;
- Co-create advocacy/issue-related communications strategy with Political Director, Organizing Director, and Executive Director;
- Co-create development communications strategy with Development Director;
- Collaborate with Organizing Team to strategize, plan, and execute issue campaign-related communications;
- Provide media/spokesperson training to key stakeholders, including staff and grassroots volunteer leaders;
- Coordinate with Asian Americans Advancing Justice national affiliation on national communications, including joint statements and releases;
- Develop and actively cultivate Advancing Justice | Chicago and AAMP’s relationships with media, including reporters, editors, and producers at key mainstream and ethnic media outlets;
- Ensure coverage by mainstream, ethnic, and new media of Advancing Justice | Chicago and AAMP’s work through an effective media relations strategy that includes drafting press releases/media advisories and organizing press conferences;
- Engage in persuasive and creative pitching to national, state, and local outlets on a regular basis;
- Respond to media requests in a timely manner, exercise judgment to prioritize media opportunities, and prepare staff and community leaders with talking points and through mock interviews, as needed;
- Flag rapid response content for issue–specific media and ethnic media contacts (including but not limited to immigration, education, police accountability, language access, just democracy, voting rights, social justice, and racial equity);
- Track all media contacts and earned media coverage.
- Create compelling content that mobilizes Advancing Justice | Chicago and AAMP’s supporters and partners to participate in Advancing Justice | Chicago and AAMP’s campaigns, including visual graphics;
- Manage all organizational social media accounts, including content creation, scheduling, and copy;
- Manage and update the Advancing Justice | Chicago and AAMP websites;
- Draft and disseminate monthly and stakeholder newsletters;
- Regularly update, clean, and segment the Advancing Justice | Chicago and AAMP email lists;
- Track and regularly report on digital analytics and metrics, and provide recommendations on how to increase engagement across digital platforms (email, social media, website)
- Oversee the development and execution of annual and impact reports;
- Prepare and disseminate communications materials to support fundraising efforts, including targeted communications to key stakeholders (media, foundations, corporations, donors, etc.), using multiple platforms such as print, electronic, social media, and events outreach;
- Co-create digital toolkits for campaigns with Development Associate;
- Support fundraising events and campaigns for Advancing Justice | Chicago stakeholders, as needed.
As the Communications Manager, they should demonstrate a unique blend of qualities and skills that reflect a passion and commitment to the organization’s mission, including the following:
- 2-4 years of Marketing and Communications experience;
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice, racial equity, and civil rights;
- Proven ability to develop and execute a successful strategic communications strategy and plan across all platforms–traditional, digital, and social–whether paid, earned, or owned;
- Exemplary writing and interpersonal communications skills;
- A refined and nuanced ability to craft targeted content and disseminate messages in ways that reflect, engage, and enhance various complex community and cultural perspectives;
- Proficiency in design sensibilities, with a strong understanding of the communications process from creative concept through production and execution;
- Successful targeting and influencing key audiences using data and analytics to ensure effectiveness and measure success;
- Excellent collaborator, engaging in cross-department planning and strategy sessions, with exposure to all staff and levels of the organization;
- Willingness to work occasional evenings and weekends for events and special projects as needed;
- Strong organizational skills, multitasking, and problem-solving skills;
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team, showing grace and willingness to help;
- Ability to prioritize and meet deadlines;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Creative Suite, Canva, Mailchimp, WordPress; Social Media Platforms
This is an exempt, full-time position. This position is represented by a collective bargaining unit and is subject to the terms and conditions of the contract between Advancing Justice | Chicago and the Chicago News Guild.
The salary range is $55,000 – $65,000 depending on experience.
Advancing Justice | Chicago offers a full benefits package as outlined below:
- Health, Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance, with 100% Employer paid premiums
- Generous Paid Time Off Policy
- 401K Employer Match Program
INQUIRY AND APPLICATION PROCESS
Applications should be submitted electronically via email to email@example.com and include:
- Cover letter describing interest in the position, qualifications, and expectations;
- Two writing samples of your choosing;
- Two design samples of your choosing or link to portfolio; and
- Names of three references who can speak to the range of qualifications sought.
Please include “Communications Manager Application” in the subject line of your email. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, but applications received by Monday, February 20, 2023 will be prioritized.
Note: Given the COVID-19 pandemic, Advancing Justice | Chicago staff are currently working hybrid, both remotely and in-person in our Uptown office two days a week, which is subject to change.
Asian Americans Advancing Justice | Chicago is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified persons are encouraged to apply, regardless of race, color, creed, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, age, height, weight, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, marital or domestic partner status, or religious affiliation.